I joined Google in 2005. While at Google I've worked in the following areas:Web Search
- Reliability and monitoring of the production web crawling system.
- Improving freshness and comprehensiveness of the Google web search index.
- Building a market economy for provisioning machine resources
- Measuring the statistical behavior of failures at different levels of Google's distributed storage infrastructure to influence storage system and datacenter design.
- Building infrastructure for statistical computing on big data.
- Implementing large-scale traffic forecasting and capacity planning models for web search and related services.
- Summer of Code (In 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008).
- Contributing to the R Project for Statistical Computing and several open-source R packages.
To help continue bringing in new talent, I have also been fairly involved in the engineering hiring process.
I received an M.Sc. in Mathematics and the Foundations of Computer Science from Oxford University, working with Joel Ouaknine in the area of Software Model Checking. Prior to joining Google I was deeply involved in the FreeBSD operating system, and was the primary release engineer for the FreeBSD 4.x releases.